Youth History

Growing up in the Market, the youth largely went to school in and socialised around the area. At its height, there were four schools in the Market. The Sisters of Mercy Convent School opened in September 1878 on Sussex Place and remained until 1988. St Malachy’s Christian Brothers school opened on Oxford Street in 1874 and remained until 1963. In 1905, St Colman’s school for boys Saint Malachy’s Girls’ opened in Eliza Street. They both closed in 1988 when all the children transferred to the new St Malachy’ s Primary School. St Malachy’s Primary School opened in 1987 in Eliza Street. This new school was now the only school for the children of the area, educating both boys and girls. Along with the new primary school came the nursery, situated on Market Street. Also, on the school site is the new St Malachy’s Youth Centre, opened in 2013. The youth are also served by the Sure Start Centre by the playground on Stewart Street, built in 2015/16 after years of lobbying.

Schools

The Sisters of Mercy Convent School opened in September 1878 on Sussex Place and remained until 1988. St Malachy’s Christian Brothers school opened on Oxford Street in 1874 and remained until 1963. In 1905, St Colman’s school for boys Saint Malachy’s Girls’ opened in Eliza Street. They both closed in 1988 when all the children transferred to the new St Malachy’ s Primary School. St Malachy’s Primary School opened in 1987 in Eliza Street. This new school was now the only school for the children of the area, educating both boys and girls. Along with the new primary school came the nursery, situated on Market Street. Also, on the school site is the new St Malachy’s Youth Centre, opened in 2013. The youth are also served by the Sure Start Centre by the playground on Stewart Street, built in 2015/16 after years of lobbying.

X